We’re proud to share that our Peer-Facilitated Advance Care Planning Public Workshop is among the Top 30 selected innovations for the Frailty Matters Innovation Showcase in Toronto on Sept. 20.
We partnered with two community organizations — Comox Valley Hospice Society and Vancouver Coastal Health’s Community Engagement Advisory Network (CEAN) — to develop a community-based public education model to promote Advance Care Planning (ACP). The goal is to bring and have ACP conversations where people live, and to have their wishes known and respected.
The peer-facilitated ACP public workshop includes:
- An online and in-person training curriculum for volunteers to equip them with the knowledge and skills to become peer facilitators for ACP sessions;
- A start-up toolkit that includes resources for community organizations interested in adopting this model for facilitators and for the public.
The model was adopted by 24 community organizations across B.C. Evaluation of over 40 sessions indicates that the model is effective at all levels.
Click here to learn about the Top 30 Frailty Innovations.
The BC Centre for Palliative Care is a centre of excellence with a mandate to integrate palliative care into the health system.
We focus on the process to integrate palliative care into the health system — for direct services around palliative care, there are many resources in BC. If you are a caregiver or want general information about services available, Service BC can help you! Call Service BC Monday to Friday 7:30am to 5pm:
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7867
Outside BC: 1-604-660-2421
Here are some other helpful resources:
- A telephone contact list for every provincial health authority, hospital and health-care facility.
- A guide to Hospice Palliative care in BC.
- A guide to the role of BC health authorities.
- BC Seniors Guideto services and resources offered in 6 languages.
These resources are not intended to replace the information or advice of your health-care provider.
Tweets by BCC4PC