Advance Care Planning Day 2016
ACP Day – April 16, 2016
The BC Centre for Palliative Care is joining Advance Care Planning Organizations across Canada in the promotion of ACP Day, by providing practical and inspirational ACP resources.
Who is this for? – Everyone! Community groups, healthcare providers and the general public.
What is included? – Personal ACP stories, new ACP online workbook, posters and more.
Use the stories and materials shared with the BC Centre for Palliative Care and share with your networks. To support your ACP efforts, these e-packages include links and information on the following:
- Twitter chat on April 11, 2016
- Speak-Up BC Online ACP Workbook
- ACP stories to share with your networks
- ACP videos
- Public Events in BC for ACP Day
- Purchase Care Planning Cookies
- Download ACP Day Complete e-package
Join us on Twitter April 11, 2016 from 10:00am – 11:00am.
Twitter handle is #ACPinBC for conversations about Advance Care Planning in BC.
Discuss what ACP is to you.
- How does health care help you live well?
- What kind of health care crosses the line for you?
- Who do you need to talk to?
- Who relies on you for health decisions?
- What are your worst case scenarios?
- And, what care do you want if those happen?
Developed and made available by National Speak Up
Public Events in BC for ACP Day
Advance Care Planning educational events have been planned for the week of April 10th through 17th.
Being Mortal: And What Matters in the End
Matinee showing of Atul Gawande’s Being Mortal at North Island College on Saturday April 16, 2016, 2:00 pm- 4:00 pm. Address: 2300 Ryan Road, Courtenay, BC V9N 8N6
Public ACP workshop Planning For the Future by Langley Hospice Society at Douglas Park Recreation Centre – Wednesday April 13, 2016, 10:00 am – 3:15 pm. Address: 20660 – 48 Avenue Langley, BC V3A 3L6. 604-530-1115. Space is limited, RSVP to email@example.com. Information at http://langleyhospice.com/events/planning-for-the-future/
Substitute Decision Maker Fair for Health Care Providers at Royal Columbian Hospital in Columbia Tower near Radiology on Tuesday April 12, 2016, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Address: 330 E Columbia St, New Westminster, BC V3L 3W7. Drop by!
Oliver and Osoyoos
Free presentation on End of Life Planning and Healthcare Treatment Choices
Oliver: Saturday, April 16th 2016 11am at the Legion Hall
Osoyoos: Saturday, April 16, 2016 2pm at the Sonora Centre
Presented by: Desert Valley Hospice Society
The following posters include ACP Day 2016 events happening across BC
- Being Mortal (1.6 MB pdf document)
- Being Mortal Leaflets
- Care Planning Cookies (0.8 MB pdf document)
- Look Who’s Talking
- Planning for the Future (1.3 MB pdf document)
- Substitute Decision Maker
Produce stickers to promote Advance Care Planning.
ACP sticker template developed by Fraser Health Authority.
- Multiple Stickers without logo – ready for printing
- Single sticker without logo
- Single Sticker with logo – BC Centre for Palliative Care logo
Purchase Care Planning Cookies
Need an idea for how to promote ACP Day for you or your organization? Try the Care Planning Cookies that are available for purchase. Organizations are finding creative ways to use the Care Planning Cookies:
- Renfrew Hospital, working on a shoestring budget, is planning to put a Care Planning Cookie on each of the patient’s meal trays on April 16th, and is also making them available in the hospital cafeteria.
- Organizations are using them to promote Advance Care Planning in the community, handing them out at ACP Day events
- Hospices are using them for education days with hospice volunteers and coordinators
- Colleges are using them within their health care programs to engage the students in conversations about life and death